The training offer
IPSL actively participates in the training offer in many institutions in the Île-de-France Region. Professors of the laboratories attached to IPSL provide teaching in fundamental and environmental disciplines at Sorbonne Université, the Université Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines (UVSQ), the Université Paris-Est Créteil, the Université Paris Cité, as well as in grandes écoles and engineering schools (École Polytechnique, École Normale Supérieure, École Centrale, Sciences Po, etc.).
This plurality is perfectly justified if we consider the transversality of climate and environmental sciences: different training paths are possible to cover the range of knowledge and skills necessary to understand the functioning of our planet.
The thematic complementarity of the research units attached to the IPSL has led to the establishment of a common doctoral school: the so-called "École doctorale des sciences de l'environnement d'Île-de-France" (ED129 at Sorbonne University), whose scientific fields overlap with those of the IPSL.
80% of the ED129 doctoral school's students are affiliated with IPSL laboratories. This regional school brings together doctoral studies in climate sciences, on climate change and its environmental impacts.
Three other doctoral schools are also closely linked to the IPSL:
- "Mechanical and Energetic Sciences, Materials and Geosciences" doctoral school (UPSaclay school)
- "Geosciences, Natural Resources and Environment" doctoral school (Sorbonne University)
- "Sciences, Engineering, Environment" school (UPEC)
Master's level studies
The Master's programs in the Ile-de-France region on climate sciences, climate change, and their environmental impacts are carried out by many institutions (16 universities and grandes écoles in the Ile-de-France region).
The Master 1 and 2 programs integrated or associated with the Climate Graduate School IPSL are listed below.
The Master's degree in Earth, Planetary and Environmental Sciences (Université Paris-Saclay)
The Master's degree in Earth, Planetary, and Environmental Sciences (STePE) aims at training high-level scientists to deal with issues related to the Earth, the environment, and the planets. It also provides a solid foundation in one or two disciplines (earth sciences, physics, chemistry, mechanics) and an openness to other specialties (including human and social sciences).
The M1 program is structured around three major issues into which the M2 specialties are divided.
Issue: Understanding climate change: from past to future
- Studying the Climates of the Earth • ECLAT (UVSQ - Paris-Saclay)
- Social Sciences, Arctic Studies • ARCTS (UVSQ - Paris-Saclay)
- Climate and Media • ClimEd (UVSQ - Paris-Saclay / ESJ Lille)
Issue: Planetology and Space Exploration
- Planetology and Space Exploration (PES) - Regional Master (UVSQ - Paris-Saclay)
Issue: Geo-resources for the environment and the energy transition
And the "Environmental Engineering" program, which is transverse and has a more professional aim.
The Master STePE - Hydrology-Hydrogeology-Environmental Geochemistry (HHGE, Sorbonne University)
The Earth and Planetary Sciences, Environment (STePE) option focuses on the disciplines of Geosciences and Hydrosciences and is divided into five standard educational programs. Each of these programs (excluding SV-STU aggregation) offers training in line with the disciplinary fields of Earth and Environmental Sciences to access jobs related to these fields.
The HHGE program prepares students for careers in research, teaching, industry, or administration in environmental sciences for the protection of natural resources.
The Master's degree in Marine Sciences - Oceanography and Marine Environments (SDM, Sorbonne University)
The target of the "Marine Sciences" Master's degree is to train, through a multidisciplinary approach, highly qualified students in the fields of biological oceanography, marine ecology, and biogeochemistry, both from a conceptual and methodological point of view.
- Program: "Functioning of marine ecosystems and global changes”
- Program: "Biodiversity and conservation of marine ecosystems”
The Master's degree in Ocean, Atmosphere and Climate Sciences (SOAC, Sorbonne University)
The Master's degree in "Ocean, Atmosphere and Climate Sciences" (SOAC) offers training in atmospheric and climate physics, physical oceanography, and methods of observing these environments, particularly from space. It is composed of two programs:
- “Meteorology, Oceanography, Climate, Engineering for Space Observations” • MOCIS
- “Environmental Sciences and Policies”
Master Water, Air, Pollution and Energy at local and regional scales - WAPE (Mechanics, IP Paris)
- Become a specialist in the physics and dynamics of atmospheric or coastal environment and in their evolutions associated to climate change
- Provide efficient solutions to environmental problems and/or evaluating environmental or climatic risk or dealing with management and optimization of natural resources or renewable energies
- Benefit from a world-class learning experience through an alliance between the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, Sorbonne Université, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Ecole des Ponts ParisTech and Columbia University
Master's degree in Environmental Sciences and Engineering (SGE, UPEC and University of Paris)
The purpose of the "Risks and Environment" (RE) Master's degree is to train specialists in the environment in the broadest sense (environmental sciences, ecology, environmental management), as well as in issues related to environmental risks (crisis management, pollution, risk geography, biodiversity crisis, sustainable management of ecosystems, climate change, land-based risks).
The "Environmental Sciences and Engineering" (SGE) program aims to train qualified professionals in environmental sciences to conduct and direct environmental studies, including aspects of metrology, management, research and development.
Master's degree in Earth and Planetary Sciences, Environment (ENS, PSL University)
The Master's degree in "Earth and Planetary Sciences, Environment" at PSL University is qualified by the advanced training in Earth sciences, meteorology, oceanography, climate sciences, and bio-geosciences, as well as in their applications to environmental sciences, on Earth, and in space.
Master AETPF Climate, Land Use, Ecosystem Services - (CLUES, Université Paris-Saclay)
This program provides students with the scientific basis necessary to understand and evaluate the evolution of agroecosystems under the effect of climate change and changes in land use.
To intervene optimally, these specialists must have a good knowledge of:
- physical and biological interactions between the climate and the biosphere,
- methods for evaluating the services provided by agro and ecosystems,
- and how to implement and evaluate levers for managing land use, from a perspective of sustainable development of the territories and economic sectors concerned.
Master EEEA Information Processing and Data Exploitation (TRIED, UVSQ-Paris-Saclay)
The TRIED master's degree trains "data scientists" who are experts in data analysis, processing, and modeling and who master the concepts and technologies of artificial intelligence. The training is multidisciplinary at the frontier between applied mathematics, computer science, and physics. The objective is to acquire the skills necessary for the development of machine learning and deep learning algorithms for complex statistical modeling in various application domains.