WCRP Open Science Conference 2023: media
This conference, held every 10 years, was an opportunity for our communities to come together and explore the transformative actions urgently needed to ensure a sustainable climate.
The second World Climate Research Programme’s (WCRP) Open Science Conference was held in Kigali, Rwanda, from October 23 to 27, 2023. The confernce in the heart of the African continent fostered strong engagement with research communities, stakeholders and practitioners from Rwanda and the wider African region and Global South. Over 1,500 participants attended the conference (face-to-face and remote).
It brought together the climate, environment and related communities to discuss the latest developments in climate science and explore the transformative actions urgently needed to ensure a sustainable future. The results of all the conference sessions culminated in the “Kigali Declaration” – a declaration that will be submitted to the 28th Conference of the Parties (COP28).
Some articles and blogs centered on the conference
- Open Science Conference: We need dramatic climate action to meet unprecedented challenges (WMO website)
- One world, one climate: a planetary call to action (ISC website)
- Global solidarity for climate justice: perspectives from an early-career researcher (ISC website)
- From monsoon joy to fear: a climate crisis awakening (ISC website)
- Open Science Conference stresses need for dramatic climate action to meet unprecedented challenges (zawya.com)
- International Research Conference Considers Accelerating Pace Of Climate Change | Climate Change (ndtv.com)
- Open Science Conference: 160 research findings to help advance climate resilience (msn.com)
- Robust, accessible science is vital to understand, predict and plan for climate change (Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre)
- Climate experts want advance climate science action ahead of COP28 (News Ghana)
- International research conference considers accelerating pace of climate change (ThePrint – ANIFeed)
- Experts Call For Advancing Climate Science, COP28 (teleSUR English)