The Board of Trustees, renewable every five years, is composed of a representative of each of the signatories of the IPSL federation agreement. The trustees of IPSL fall into two categories, ‘steering’ authorities or ‘partner’ authorities.
The ‘steering’ group is responsible for monitoring and directing the overall IPSL project and provides the significant resources necessary to carry out the seven transversal missions.
It is made up of the following seven establishments:
- The French National Centre for Scientific Research (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) (CNRS)
- Sorbonne University (SU)
- University of Versailles Saint-Quentin (UVSQ)
- École Polytechnique
- The Commission for Atomic Energy and Alternative Energies (Le Commissariat à l’Énergie Atomique et aux Énergies Alternatives) (CEA)
- Research Institute for Development (Institut de Recherche pour le Développement) (IRD)
- École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées (ENPC)
The group of ‘partners’ are associated through the laboratories and are invited to attend meetings at the halfway point in the five-year period and at the end of projects, as well as being included in any discussion that affects the structure of the units.
It is made up of the following 5 establishments:
- University of Paris Saclay (UPS)
- University of Paris (UDP)
- University Paris-Est Créteil (UPEC)
- École Normale Supérieure (ENS)
- National Museum of Natural History (MNHM)
The council makes the following decisions on the functioning of the IPSL:
- It appoints and dismisses the Unit Director.
- It validates the appointment of the deputy unit directors proposed by the director after approval by the Management Committee.
- It validates the appointment of the heads of the centres and services proposed by the Unit Director.
- It ensures consistency between the policies of the unit and those of the attached Observation Centres (OSU).
- It agrees on the resources to be allocated to the unit.
- It approves the provisional budget for the unit.
- It ensures the optimal use of resources.
- It approves the annual activity report.
It proposes any changes to be made to the statutes and decides on the participation of new partners.
The Board of Trustees meets at least twice a year when convened by its president (Director of the CNRS INSU).