The director of the IPSL is appointed by the Board of Trustees on the proposal of its president, for a period of 5 years renewable once. He is assisted by deputy directors who act under his responsibility according to the strategic orientations of the federation.
- Implements the policy of the unit in accordance with the guidelines laid out by the Board and decides on the use of shared resources, after consultation with internal bodies.
- Is responsible for the organisation of scientific activities, training and access to information.
- Manages the human and financial resources of the unit.
- Represents IPSL externally.
- Proposes the scientific strategy of the unit to the Board of Trustees.
- Prepares the provisional budget for IPSL activities.
- Participates in the meetings of the Board of Trustees and the Scientific Council.