Climate Change: Challenges and Issues for the Water Cycle
IPSL-CGS Virtual School' 23 • June 26-29, 2023 • Held from Paris, France
It is with great pleasure that the Climate Graduate School of the Institute Pierre-Simon Laplace (IPSL-CGS) announces a fourth edition of IPSL Virtual School, online from Paris (France), June 26-29, 2023.
We are happy to invite undergraduate and master students from around the world who are motivated by the challenges of climate sciences and wish to pursue a research career in Climate and Environmental Sciences in France. This year, particular attention will be given to the water cycle and related climatic issues in the framework of Climate Change.
This event is organized by the IPSL-CGS, which assembles world-renowned scientists working in the Paris region on climate science. It provides a unique opportunity to prepare for a master's degree or a Ph.D. while actively participating in the life of a research laboratory.
The program includes:
- Scientific webinars and online discussions on a range of climate science topics, with a focus on Water Cycle and related physical and biogeochemical processes.
- Hands-on group workshops.
- Practical information about studying in the Paris area: presentations and online discussions with French students at the Master or PhD level, about career opportunities.
- Side events.
The main themes of the Summer School:
- Introduction to the water cycle and climate
- International coordination of water cycle research
- Extreme events: heavy precipitation, floods, and droughts
- Water management and uses in society
- Soil-vegetation interactions
- Atmosphere-ocean interactions
The working language of the Virtual Summer School is English.
Please note that your online presence is expected for the entire duration of the virtual school. We will make our best to adapt to the different time zones of the participants.
Practical requirements: an efficient internet connection and a tablet or computer equipped with microphones and speakers, are absolutely necessary.
Application procedure & Registration
No registration fee.
Open to applicants with undergraduate (B.Sc.) or master (M1, M2, M.A., M.Sc. or equivalent) degrees in physics, Earth sciences, environmental sciences or related fields.
Candidates will need to send their CV and a motivation letter (and, if possible, a reference letter).
Deadline extended to June 9, 2023.
Antoine Séjourné • Researcher at GEOPS-IPSL
Estelle Fournel • Project manager at IPSL
Fabio d'Andrea • Researcher at LMD-IPSL
Francesco d'Ovidio • Researcher at LOCEAN-IPSL
Gina Fifani • Project manager at IPSL
Hervé Le Treut • Professor at SU, IPSL
Solène Turquety • Professor at SU, IPSL
Zhiwei Zhu • Multimedia developer at University Paris-Saclay