IPSL currently gathers nine laboratories:
- the Centre d'Enseignement et de Recherche en Environnement Atmosphérique ( CEREA )
- the laboratory Géosciences Paris-Sud ( GEOPS )
- the Laboratoire ATmosphères, Milieux, Observations Spatiales ( LATMOS )
- a team of the Laboratoire d’Études du Rayonnement et de la Matière en Astrophysique et Atmosphères ( LERMA )
- the Laboratoire Inter-universitaire des Systèmes Atmosphériques ( LISA )
- the Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique ( LMD )
- the Laboratoire d'Océanographie et du Climat : Expérimentation et Approches Numériques ( LOCEAN )
- the Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement ( LSCE )
- the laboratory Milieux environnementaux, transferts et interactions dans les hydrosystèmes et les sols ( METIS )
The Atmospheric Environment Center is a joint laboratory of école des Ponts ParisTech, one of the premier civil and engineering schools in France, and EDF R&D, a major energy group. CEREA studies physico-chemical processes of air pollution and of the atmospheric boundary layer as well as Data assimilation and inverse modeling in geosciences.
Earth sciences at Geosciences Paris-Sud are oriented toward the study of geological processes produced and/or recorded at the surface of the Earth and terrestrial planets. They are focused on the characterization, tracing, measurement and modeling of these interactions in surface and subsurface environments and their reconstruction back to the past.
The Laboratoire Atmosphères, Milieux, Observations Spatiales is a research unit created on January 1st, 2009, gathering former activities developed by Service d'Aéronomie and by more than half of Centre d'étude des Environnements Terrestre et Planétaires. LATMOS is part of Observatoire des Sciences de l'Univers de l'UVSQ.
Laboratoire Inter-universitaire des Systèmes Atmosphériques studies the earth atmosphere (atmospheric pollution and climate), the connexion between astrobiology and planetology and the question of the evolution of organic matter towards complex molecular structures, in various planetary environments.
The Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique mainly studies climate, pollution and the atmosphere of planets using both theoretical approaches, instrumental development for observation and numerical modelisation. It is a leader on the research about dynamical and physical processes to study and forecast the meteorological and climatic phenomena.
Laboratoire d'Océanographie et du Climat : Expérimentation et Approches Numériques studies ocean in a wide range of spatial scales and the role of ocean on climate variability. LOCEAN recently initiated studies on climatic variability and society relationships interacting with other communities (agronomy, economy, health).
Laboratoire des sciences du climat et de l'environnement aims to understand climate evolution at all time scales and to predict the changes our planet will have to face in the next decades and centuries because of the fast increase in greenhouse effect gazes.
The UMR Metis (transfers and interactions in hydrosystems and soils) was created in 2014 from the merger of the UMR Sisyphe and GOME team of UMR BioEmCo. The UMR Metis is associated with UPMC, CNRS and the EPHE and has a long-term scientific relationship with the Geosciences department of Mines ParisTech. Metis is focused on the functioning of continental environments, in processes that affect the transfers of water, chemical elements, nutrients and contaminants in soil, sub-soil and aquatic environments.